Subject: Re: Spline mesh instead
From: [email-masked] (Bryan Ewert)
Date: 02 Dec 94 22:58:29 MST
Newsgroups: comp.graphics.packages.lightwave

On 27 Nov 1994 Hardin Brett Arvid orated:

 HBA> what exactly I am trying to do is create a large beer mug. the mug has a
 HBA> bunch (16) 1/2 cylinder (semi-cylinder) shapes cut out of the base.

OK.. here's a different approach to try:

Make your "metaformed boxes" and place them in your "circle" that will be
the base of your mug.  The "metaforming" does not have to be intricately
detailed and you may even find better luck with a non-metaformed primitive
for it.

Delete all polygons (and associated points) that will not be part of the
shape of the mug.

Now use the "Static" perspective display to create a series of splines to
follow the contour of the "dimples" of your mug.  Any time you need a sharp
bend in the spline, simply duplicate the point at the location before
defining the spline.

Now you've got your splines.  Delete all polygons and points that are not
part of the curves.  Create a spline mesh, then patch the mesh.  The
polygons on the bottom of the mug (the flat ones) may be merged to several
larger ones.

Yes, this procedure could get tedious.  However, you did say you could
build it yourself before your 4000 could. :>

Good luck.

      -- Bryan Ewert
          JUUL: Animation, Ltd.
           Member of the Amiga Users of Calgary
            Look for AMUC's Centennial Scrolling Demo '94 -- coming soon!
             Internet: [email-masked]